Wednesday 12 October 2011

Design sheets - Alphabet Soup


This is my first set of ideas, I started going for a Block Gothic Bold typeface but I think that was because I liked that style in that moment. Having nothing to do with Lisa's set of questions.

I then focused on Lisa's walking. The first thing I thought of was walking would incorporate feet, to walk by foot. So I started coming up with visual language for feet and walking. I thought the foot print symbolised walking and shoes, feet well. I didn't actually base the font on an existing font to begin with which I should of done. This made it more difficult and time consuming drawing the new font.

I used the Bowl of the A to do the tails and loops.


 
 When I was drawing the tail on the first J i didn't take it low enough so I drew the two lines and downwards arrow as an indicator/ reminder to myself to do it next time. Consequently I forgot! but when I was in my Crit someone said it looks good and looks like movement, so a mistake was continued and I tried adding more arrows.

The arrows on the last J were meant to look like some kind of pavement with the arrow moving down it.


These were some more ideas I had. I found by reducing the opacity of the typeface it allowed me to draw over the top of the original and adapt it to create a new font.

No comments:

Post a Comment