Tuesday 1 November 2011

Alphabet Soup - Illustrator

These were my initial design ideas. I started using the warp and pathfinder tools from when Simon introduced them to us.

 I create the block A's letters by duplicating the A one and lining it up straight using the shift button while duplicating. I then duplicated the whole line and repeated this. I used the blend tool to create the S' and then ungrouped the object and expanded it; I used the pathfinder to remove the S selection.

I decided to go with the G that looks like it has a Zebra pattern. I created this by warping a previous white typeface and then layering it on top of the black typeface. It was simple but looked the most effective and it also followed the brief as this idea mimics my initial typeface. The theme of the previous typeface was Extract.

I created the typeface in the wrong order. I should have laid the letters out in an A1 format and then layer the white warped typeface on top afterwards. This would have meant that I wouldn't have needed to move every letter individually on the A1 which was quite time consuming.
The example on the right is when the typeface and layered type was flattened. This would again of made it easier to arrange and place in an ordered layout. When the typeface was flattened it seemed dull the white effect which i didn't like.

Here is the final version structured:

Printed poster

No comments:

Post a Comment