Sunday 3 March 2013

What is good? - Primary Research

Leeds City Museum Primary Research

Yesterday I went to Leeds City Museum. Although there are differences between art galleries and history museums there are strong similarities and I found it extremely useful to visit the museum for primary research.


Images




The images are low quality as I have reduced the file size considerably. I took these images with the emphasis on the use of way finding and navigation. I was alo looking at the signage. It was ideal getting into the space and not just viewing the gallery online.

My next visit will be to the Royal Armouries and Leeds art gallery. I was originally soppose to go there instead of the city museum but it didn't work out like that in the end.

Summary

Use of speakers (directional speakers) - When you walk under the speakers that are above head height the speakers sound as if they are being played in your ear. Its a really weird sensation actually. The really useful thing about this experience is how I can use directional speakers in my exhibition as it links with perception and the human senses.

General interaction - Although the demographic for the Leeds City Museum is younger then a traditional art gallery, the ways in which the curators have tried to engage with the audience is interesting and defiantly worth considering. For example rocks that you can touch.

Layout - I need to figure out the layout of my exhibition. Am I going to propose a new exhibition space or use a gallery space that already exists.

Size - How big is my exhibition going to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment