Tuesday 21 May 2013

OUGD505 - Module Evaluation

1. What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them: 

Primarily within this brief I think my practice in relation to concepts and ideas has improved dramatically. I feel I have consciously made the decision to try and produce graphic design work that has a strong concept underpinning the practical work. I found it interesting thinking about how you can create a relationship between the subject and the design and the workshops defiantly helped develop this. Although I now understand the idea of a strong concept it took me almost giving up on my What is Good brief to implement it and be confident when presenting an concept.


I feel as if I have tried to explore and experiment; for the Bi-monthly poster brief I tried to utilise a new process which was vacuum forming, I had the an idea of how I could potentially create a poster that would stand out and look unique in comparison with the other entries. Unfortunately ir didn't pay off but I think this was because the idea was ambitious and required a larger vacuum forming machine which I simply didn't have access too. I thought about laser cutting and using vinyl but I decided I had done that before and wanted to explore another media.


2. What approaches to methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?


I began using design sheet a lot more which is something I said I would do in the last module evaluation  This has really helped me brain storm new ideas and get them out of my head. This is important because until the ideas are on paper they don't really exist. I think it helped create my concept for Anapol which I was pretty happy with.


I thought it was a good idea using the 3D meda again because it was something different that I hadn't really explored. Again it was a big risk to fully explore the capabilities of physically cutting holes in my exhibition guide to fit 3D glasses but I think it made it more interactive and exciting. 

Everyone was struggling to get print slots and it was quite frustrating having to commit to print slot times that worked around crits and other studio commitments. Although I think this was a problem it forced me to work to a set deadline and also utilise other processes such as vacuum form which I mentioned. 


3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?


I think Anapol had a clear identity and also a clear concept that was eventually very focused and specific. A new strength I can now identify after this module is actually how to properly create a specific concept. I will continue to make my design decisions based upon an informed subject with relevance to the theme. 

Although I had a hard time and struggled at the beginning I stuck at it. I think this is a quality you need to get through your work load. Obviously its important to actually keep on going and not give up. I think the What is Good brief really did test me and if I have problems similar again I will know how to get through them and also have the willpower to continue. 


4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future

I have begun to hate blogging. I find it tedious and time consuming. I will address this by implementing a clear system. I need to remember to blog what I have done as soon as I can. I used to be good at this but now I leave it to the last minute which makes it extremely hard. 

Presentation boards. I think presentation boards can constantly be improved. I still sometimes get confused as to what needs to go on them. I will try to find some examples of good presentation boards. I will also write a plan of what needs to go on there so that when I start designing them I can tick off things that need including. 




5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

Create a concept faster. This will allow me to begin my designing a lot faster and achieve a greater finish with a larger body of work which is developed in depth.


I will blog everything that needs blogging as soon as possible. This will mean that I am not struggling to get everything ready for hand ins which will make the documentation better.


I will book more print slots so that I don't have to use the laser printer!

No comments:

Post a Comment