Monday 16 April 2012

What is a line?// Halftone tests

I carried out halftone tests to see how what frequency would physically achieve the most photo realistic print. I created this set of circles; each circle has a different frequency. The result being that I can see which halftone frequency works the best for what I want to do.  

The six circles on the left are set to a higher frequency; the circles on the right are a lower frequency. I do like the lower frequency with a bigger dot size, the bigger dots size gives a nice effect but for what I want it needs to be finer.

Although I went to the effect of silk screening this image it wasn't of any use because when I created the circles some how they enlarged. It was still a useful experiment because it still showed me how fine I could go I just needed to guess the dot size of the highest appropriate frequency. 

*Tip, when you need to re size your image and you are working with half tone, re size first then created the halftone effect. I thought I had done this obviously not.


Higher frequency. Unless you zoom in you probably wont be able to see the dots. This is what I want.

Lower frequency. You can see the variation in the frequency. 

Here is the correct step when creating halftone in Photoshop.
Image > Mode > Greyscale

Bitmap > output 1200 > halftone screen
Frequency 75 - 85 > angle 30. These gave me the best results. I got help from Mike a technician.

No comments:

Post a Comment