Monday 10 December 2012

Mutton Quad - Designs

I started off creating the fork for the logo. I traced a fork which I found online and realised it basically looked pretty lame. I then designed my own fork using circles to get a perfectly symmetrical curve. This fork looked more professional and it also left me with the option to manipulate the dimensions more.


I then started working on some layouts and applied some text to the logo. At this point I felt like giving up. I decided to run with the idea of a restaurant called Kern which is technical typography terminology for the spacing between each character.


KerningFrom Wikipedia.In typography, kerning (less commonly mortising) is the process of adjusting the spacing between characters in a proportional font, usually to achieve a visually pleasing result. Kerning adjusts the space between individual letter forms, whiletracking (letter-spacing) adjusts spacing uniformly over a range of characters. In a well-kerned font, the two-dimensional blank spaces between each pair of characters all have similar area.The related term kern denotes a part of a type letter that overhangs the edge of the type block.


I continued working on the logo and it started to look better which gave me the confidence to continue with the idea of naming the restaurant Kern.


More examples and designs.




I like this but I think its quite a simple generic design.

This is more what I am thinking. I don't know why I used the two dots above the letter Ë, but they give the logo something visually. I am going to change this because I know it probably doesn't make sense and serves no function. I am going to replace it with something that makes sense.


I started applying a colour scheme to the logo mock ups I have produced. It makes a big difference to the feel of the logo once a colour scheme has been applied. I think if you can make the logo look good in black it will look even better once a colour has been applied to it.



More examples I am fond of. I am going to ask people in tomorrow crit what they think. I have printed off all the logo mock ups and I am going to ask them to choose two logos on the sheet with an explanation.


Example of a different coloured background.


Example as a letterhead.


When I have picked a logo I will do a mock up showing how the logo and brand will look across a range of products, including the exterior of a shop front.








No comments:

Post a Comment