Wednesday 11 January 2012

CLEAR, UKCIA // Primary Research // 100 Things

Letter to UKCIA, CLEAR


Hello,

I study Graphic Design at Leeds College of Art. The module I am currently doing is about research. Effective design practice through informed research, which may be primary or secondary research both quantitative and qualitative.

I chose to research Medical Cannabis. My decision was difficult as I felt that with the prejudice directed at Cannabis and Cannabis culture it would be extremely difficult to even approach the subject under academic circumstances. Eventually I decided that I was still going to proceed with this decision. I would say that prior to my research task I was reasonably informed about Cannabis. Since doing more focused research I have found new information and become incredibly passionate about Cannabis for medicinal purposes, although I believe strongly that out-right decriminalization and legalization would be most appropriate. This is my personal opinion and does not express the views of the college.

My task is to 'create a set, series or sequence of 10 related graphic products' I believe my personal task is to re-brand Cannabis and the stereotypical graphics related to the plant. Although I have not focused as yet specifically on graphics already available but will. I know overseas country's more predominantly are and have created a new Cannabis both Medical and recreational design style which again I will look more into as my project evolves. 

My questions to you as a group of activists:
- What do you think of visually/ Graphically when you think of Cannabis?
- How do you think Cannabis should be promoted visually? for example colour, icons, typefaces etc?
- Do you think there is a need to re brand Cannabis and Cannabis culture for the sake of legalization and medical use?

Any feedback would be really greatly appreciated.

Also if there is anything you need help with regarding any imagery or graphics created, please feel free to contact me as I think I could contribute and would be obliged to help.

My blogspot - http://s-hoh1114-dp.blogspot.com/
You can view my work here. Currently the first pages are just research for my project.

Samuel Hoh

I sent this to:
http://ukcia.org/wordpress/


I received a really positive response:


Hi Samuel


I'll probably get to see the mail you sent to CLEAR in a day or so - I'm also the CLEAR website editor!

It's not just the medical cannabis campaign that needs a rebrand, it's the whole law reform campaign. UKCIA and CLEAR have made a conscious effort to distance ourselves from the awful stereotype image of the old skool cannabis campaign.

That said however, there is no doubt the cannabis leaf is a potent symbol, it's instantly recognisable and quite impossible to mistake for anything else. I would say therefore that any branding really does have to feature the leaf in some way, albeit with some subtlety. The CLEAR logo- which was designed before I became involved - was an attempt to do that and I don't think it's too bad. The UKCIA logo is over 10 years old now and could perhaps do with a facelift.

Use of the familiar red cross is not allowed. This is carefully copyright protected by the red cross, who are very intolerant of its use by anyone else.

Any logo should not associate cannabis with smoking, or at least, not smoking tobacco style joints. We are very keen to break that connection, basically because of health concerns connected to tobacco. That is especially true for medical use.

In my experience there is no problem working on cannabis law reform issues, especially in academic circles. What doesn't go down well is promotion of the "harmless herb" style style of campaign, nothing on earth is totally harmless.

Colour wise, green is the obvious choice, but again it's been greatly overused.

An alternative might be to think around the THC/CBD molecules, or symbols like Delta9THC (where delta is the triangle)? But cannabis isn't just D9THC, it's a cocktail of drugs,especially including CBD.

Bounce a few ideas off me and please do ask more questions, I'm very interested to see what you come up with and perhaps we could use your logos for real?

Derek
UKCIA.
I also sent a message to
http://ishothim.com/ 12 Jan 2012

Hello,
I am a student in the UK studying BA (Hons) Graphic Design at Leeds College of Art. Came across the website thenewleaf.org/, for proposition 19. I think the graphics and website look great and the purpose of the website looks really successful!

I am currently doing a project on cannabis and medicinal value it may have for patients in the UK. As you may know cannabis is illegal in the UK for anyone to use. My task focuses on research and then presenting the information we find graphically. So I will definitely use your info graphics on the site as contextual research.

Samuel Hoh

No comments:

Post a Comment