Wednesday 9 January 2013

Mutton Quad brief


Website Scamps







I decided to use this layout. I thought it was more suitable for a restaurant then the others.





Website mock up

This is the homepage mock up so far. I am going to make the background of the website pages all images. I think for the type of business, well photographed food is relevant. It will promote the restaurants cuisine at the same time fullfil the purpose of informing the user where the restaurant is, how to contact the restaurant and the option of making a reservation online.





Crit

The feedback about my website was that it didn't match my other products. Which is true and I realised I needed to make it link. We discussed making it look more like the beverage menu I designed, people agreed the style would be appropriate and Simon suggested using the wood theme from the menu.

I started off by changing the colour of the background which instantly looked more appropriate then the black. I haven't used the colour black much in the Mutton Quad branding and I don't actually know why I decided to use it?

I am really happy with that piece of feedback because when I look at the black original website background I hate it.



I am still going to use the images of the food for the purpose of backgrounds. They still fit with the theme of food and are a consistent component of other food websites. I have shown examples of this on my design context blog.

Simon also made the point that in all of my current branding the logo and type is centrally aligned, so the logo being left aligned wasn't consistent. I agreed and changed this, I think it also looked more aesthetically pleasing too. 


I was experimenting with the composition of the food in the background.



As I mentioned earlier after receiving feedback about the website aspect of the Mutton Quad branding Simon said it might be a interesting idea to tie the theme of the wooden which I used for the menus into the website to give the whole set of products consistent theme with a recognisable brand. I used a wood texture I found on google to make a mock up which I thought looked visually strong and gave the website a little something else!

I am usually against decorating but the wood makes brings the content to the foreground. There are also a lot of generic white websites which after while blend into one.




I added the elastic again to mimic the style of the menu. When I could to design the real website I will use plywood from the workshop to make my menus and also make the website, this will give me visual consistency throughout my range. I was originally going to use MDF which I have stored already but I realised it doesn't have a wood texture meaning the menu and the website background could look like a plain untextured surface which would be pointless as I could just mock that up. 

I will photograph the plywood in a rectangle format so that it can be applied as the website background.


No comments:

Post a Comment